After years of wondering if IKEA would ever come to Winnipeg, the official announcement was made just a few months ago. Since then, the City of Winnipeg has been planning for the Swedish furniture giant’s debut in the city.
A report published on Thursday outlined some details of this expensive project at the corner of Kenaston Boulevard and Sterling Lyon Parkway.
- Store will be larger than Polo Park, but smaller than the Mall of America
- 7,500 parking spots will be required
- 36,000 people expected to visit any given Saturday in the proposed area
- Surrounding businesses will include a hotel, movie theatre and other outdoor stores
- Grand opening sometime in 2011
The public will get their say on this new development very soon — just next week in fact.
Open house: Wednesday, March 11 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: J.B. Mitchell School gymnasium, 1720 John Brebeuf Place
Read the development report from the City of Winnipeg here: http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/planning/SterlingLyon
The massive store will be 1.5 million square feet in size when it opens.