One man was killed in a Monday morning blaze that engulfed an Elmwood home at 598 Talbot Avenue. The fire broke out around 6:45 a.m. and was contained roughly an hour later.
The district fire chief on scene originally reported two deaths, but later said only one person had perished.
Neighbours say the two-storey home was rather difficult to navigate inside, due to a collection of items piled up at entrance ways and in hallways. As crews worked to contain the blaze, they could be seen throwing out bags and boxes from inside the house into the front yard. It’s believed the victim was a hoarder, which made it more difficult for emergency personnel to reach him.
UPDATE: The victim has been identified as Millard Haluk. The cause of the fire has been blamed on faulty electrical wiring.
ChrisD.ca video/Marc Evans