Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everybody!
To help you get into the spirit of this fine day, the Irish Association of Manitoba sent along some fun facts:
- Green Beer turns your urine green. Not true, but we have had reports of people consuming so much green beer that their skin has been green-tinged the following day. We don’t recommend drinking green beer, as beer should be treated with respect, and recommend that you come to the Irish Club for the best Guinness in town. Just say no to Green Beer!
- The birthrate in Ireland peaks on the 22nd October. It is customary for a child born on this day to be called Patrick, even if it is a girl.
- The Irish have the best “craic” in the world. Absolutely, and unlike Columbian Marching Powder, our craic is 100% legal in every country in the world except for those under Islamic Law.
- Irishmen become so fabulously handsome at 11.30 p.m. on St. Patrick’s Day. This is untrue, sadly it is impossible for the Irish male to become any better looking. For example Pierce Brosnan and Colin Farrell are regarded as distinctly average in Ireland.
- Leprechauns do not exist. This is also untrue – almost every Irish person has seen one at some stage, normally on Paddie’s Day, when they appear later in the evening. If you see one, and manage to catch it, do not take your eyes off it. Hold it tight and insist it takes you to his pot of gold, but he will try to distract you to look away and then he will disappear.
In the mood to be Irish for the day? The association at 654 Erin Street is hosting a full day of music and dancing — and of course, beer!
If you’re looking for those famous Shamrock Shakes from McDonald’s, we as Canadians may be out of luck, but Hot 103’s Ace Burpee is apparently getting his hands on some from Grand Forks later today.