By Sarah Klein
With 2011 just around the corner, Canadian Blood Services has a goal of collecting 59,000 blood donations in Manitoba in the next year.
Blood donations save lives and are used to treat cancer patients, transplant recipients, trauma patients, newborn babies and many others
The organization has released a list to help push you in the right direction and setup an appointment to donate.
Top 11 Reasons to Give Blood in 2011
- Save money — it doesn’t cost a thing to donate blood
- Multi-task — one blood donation can be split up into three different components – red blood cells, plasma and platelets – saving up to 3 lives
- Weight loss is guaranteed — 450ml at a time.
- Take time to relax — the comfy chairs in the clinic make for a perfect resting place after the holidays
- Do something incredible — by donating blood, you can perform a life-saving medical procedure and you don’t have to be a doctor
- Stick to your diet — the complimentary cookies and juice are always guilt free
- Carry on your bloodline — without having kids
- It’s eco-friendly — blood is a renewable resource that replenishes naturally every 56 days
- Someone you know may need blood in the future. In fact, 52% of Canadians say they or a loved one have needed blood
- Get your blood pumping without breaking a sweat — it takes less time to give blood than it does to take a Pilates class
- Giving blood is a New Year’s resolution you can stick to. As a regular blood donor, all it takes is six hours a year and you could help save as many as 18 lives in 2011
To book an appointment call 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283).