If nachos, beer and other snackies just won’t cut it while you sit down to watch the first Winnipeg Jets pre-season game on September 20, how about a Jets-inspired pierogi casserole?
Kraft Canada has assembled what they call the ultimate Canadian Hockeyville Meal as part of its cross-Canada search for the ultimate hockey town.
For Winnipeg, that specialty is the Winnipeg Jets’ Pierogi Casserole.
What you need:
- 9 lasagne noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of 250-g tub) Philadelphia Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese Spread
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg. (80 g) Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Recipe Pieces, divided
- 2 cups Kraft Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, divided
- HEAT oven to 375°F.
- COOK noodles as directed on package, omitting salt. Meanwhile, combine mashed potatoes, cream cheese spread, onions, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup Cheddar.
- PLACE 3 noodles in 13×9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; cover with 1/3 of the potato mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining bacon and Cheddar; cover.
- BAKE 30 min. or until heated through. Uncover; bake 3 to 5 min. or until Cheddar is lightly browned. Let stand 10 min. before cutting to serve.
- HOW TO MAKE THE MASHED POTATOES: Peel 2 lb./900 g (about 4) baking potatoes; add to boiling water. Cook 20 to 25 min. or until tender. Drain potatoes, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water. Return potatoes to saucepan; mash until smooth. For extra creamy potatoes, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the potatoes when mashing them.
Prep time: 25 min; Total time: 1 hr; Makes: 12 servings, 1 piece (150 g) each