By David Klassen
As students prepare to return to class later this week, packing healthy lunch options can be a challenge for some.
Health Canada has released healthy eating tips parents can use to make sure their kids are eating the right foods to keep them well-nourished.
Five ways to make school lunches easier:
Involving your kids in planning and making school lunches is a great way to help them build their own healthy eating habits.
1. On the weekend, plan out weekday lunches with your kids. Include at least 3 of the 4 food groups.
2. Get a head start. Cut up extra veggies and fruit, or make hard-boiled eggs.
3. Cook extra food – dinner leftovers make a quick and easy lunch.
4. Keep it simple: Mix and match healthier foods from each food group.
5. Prep as much as you can the night before. Then simply pack a lunch in the morning and off they go.
Lunch ideas your kids will love:
• Whole grain wrap or pita pockets + chicken or hummus + veggies
• Layers of fruit + yogurt + whole grain cereal
• Vegetable soup + whole grain bun + milk
• Cheese cubes + whole grain crackers + veggie sticks
• Whole grain pasta and sauce + veggies + yogurt dip
• Cheese + whole grain English muffin + apple slices
Additional healthy eating tips can be found at HealthyCanadians.gc.ca/EatWell.