Five Manitobans were honoured Friday at City Hall for their contributions to the community.
The Winnipeg Blue Bomber Alumni Association has named the following individuals as 2013 Manitoba Heroes:
- Michael Champagne — North End community leader
- Ken Opaleke — Director of the West Broadway Youth Outreach
- Althea Guiboche — Founder of Got Bannock?
- Owen Settee — 14-year-old advocate to feed the homeless
- Fred Penner — Children and family entertainer
“The Blue Bomber Alumni have often been revered as heroes in our province. It was our turn to create an event that celebrates some unsung heroes that are tireless leaders working in our communities,” said CFL and Blue Bomber Hall of Famer Paul Bennett. “The response was incredible and our selection committee had a difficult time choosing just five winners with such an impressive group of nominees and their heartwarming stories.”
A gala dinner in their honour will take place Saturday, October 26, at the Winnipeg Convention Centre. Proceeds from the event will go to the Winnipeg Blue Bomber Alumni Association and Siloam Mission.
Updated at 1:30 p.m.