By Sarah Klein
Five Manitobans will be honoured later today with Human Rights Awards.
In celebration of International Human Rights Day, the Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties, the Canadian Human Rights Commission and the Manitoba Human Rights Commission will recognize five individuals who have promoted respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, while advancing the rights of Manitobans.
The Recipients of the 2013 Human Rights Commitment Award of Manitoba are:
- Dr. Joan Durrant, Professor of Family Social Sciences, University of Manitoba
- Betty Hopkins, Chair of the Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF)
- The Manitoba League of Persons with Disabilities (MLPD), celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2014, the advocacy organization has always believed that Manitobans with disabilities have the same right as anyone to enjoy a full meaningful life.
The recipients of the Sybil Shack Human Rights Youth award for 2013 are:
- Megan Fultz University of Winnipeg Students’ Association President
- Gray Academy of Jewish Education’s Gay Straight Alliance Student Group
The award ceremony is open to the public at Union Centre, 206-275 Broadway, from 5-7 p.m.