The best sandwiches in Winnipeg were crowned over the weekend as Grade 4 to 6 students cultivated their best creations.
The Junior Master Chef Culinary Adventure was put on by The Winnipeg Foundation at the Paterson GlobalFoods Institute.
Students entered a total of 56 videos in the contest with recipes ranging from a Monster Balls Sub, to a Jamaican Curry Wrap, to a waffle sandwich. Over 3,500 votes were cast during the public voting phase to determine the people’s choice.
- Grand prize: Wrap of Awesomeness by Strathcona Elementary School
- Runner-up: Mulvey Mouthful by Mulvey School
- People’s choice: Maple Bacon “Kimcheese” Sandwich by École Van Walleghem School
- Wild card: Picnic Sandwich by École Lacerte
- Wild card: BLT Mega by Polson School
“Cooking is a valuable life skill,” said Keith Muller, dean of RRC’s School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts. “We are excited to host these budding chefs at the Junior Master Chef Culinary Adventure, and to give them the opportunity to add a few new skills to their culinary repertoire.”
Prizes include three $500 grants to support healthy food for the top three teams, five Junior Master Chef Culinary Adventures at Red River College’s School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts (all winning teams), plus the Wrap of Awesomeness will be featured at RRC’s Culinary Exchange restaurant.