By Sarah Klein
Winnipeg police have laid formal charges against a man accused of using a sedan as a weapon to try and run people over at a Charleswood park.
Andrew Scott Penner, 21, was arrested Wednesday morning in the area of Loudon Road after an erratic driving spree through baseball fields and the skateboard park at Marj Edey Park near Ridgewood Avenue and Fairmont Road on Tuesday evening.
Video on social media showed a silver Chevrolet Cavalier speeding through the fields and driving up and down ramps at the skateboard park.
A 25-year-old man was struck, but managed to land on his feet. He suffered minor injuries. Police say three other pedestrians were nearly struck by the car, which was later abandoned near Wilkes Avenue after narrowly missing an ongoing train.
Penner faces the following charges and remains in custody:
- Criminal negligence cause bodily harm
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle cause bodily harm
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
- Fail to stop at scene of an accident
- Assault with a weapon x 4
- Fail to comply with condition of a recognizance x 2
- Fail to comply with probation order
Highway Traffic Act Offences
- Drive without driver’s liability insurance
- Drive without licence or with invalid licence
- Proceed across a railway crossing while a traffic control device is signalling the proximity or passing of a train
- Disobey traffic control device
- Mischief under $5000/obstruct in enjoyment