The Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame has added eight new inductees to its roster.
The 36th annual induction ceremonies held over the weekend saw the inclusion of one team, five athletes, and two builders.
“The Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame inductions are an important celebration for amateur sport in our province,” said Laurel Read, interim CEO of Sport Manitoba.
“These inductees inspire our next generation to train harder, run faster, and dream bigger.”
About 630 people gathered for the ceremony Saturday at the Victoria Inn.
The newest class of sports legend include:
- Arjinder (Archie) Chawla, builder, badminton/squash/tennis
- Gordon Cumming, builder, sport medicine/speed skating
- Trevor Kennerd, athlete, football
- Ken Opalko, athlete, basketball
- Ken Peters, athlete, athletics
- Jeff Powell, athlete, rowing
- Bill Ranford, athlete, hockey
- 1964-65 U of M Bisons hockey team
Close to 500 members are currently included in the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame, which was established in 1980.