RCMP had a safe and successful weekend patrolling the Gimli Icelandic Festival compared to last year. In 2008, a man was killed after being beaten by a mob on Centre Street.
Since then, RCMP ramped up their presence from foot patrols to bicycles. The more pro-active approach and cooler weather contributed to a less-rowdy environment.
Over the course of the weekend, 20 prisoners were held, which is a ten year low, and a significant drop from the 25 held last year.
Other numbers from the August long weekend in Gimli include:
- 48 charges under the Highway Traffic Act, along with 17 written warnings
- 32 charges under the Liquor Control Act
- Seven 24 hour suspensions
- One refuse to a Breath Demand
- Two Impaired/Drive over 80 mgs%