Round up your unwanted items and prepare to move them to the curb — the city’s second annual Giveaway Weekend is set for Saturday, May 15 and Sunday, May 16.
Darryl Drohomerski, the city’s Manager of Solid Waste Services, explains …
Simply place a “FREE” sticker or sign on your unwanted household items and place them at the curb on your front street. Leftover items must be removed from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items
- books, CDs and DVDs
- furniture, electronics and small appliances
- sports equipment and toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
- kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- unwanted gifts
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
- Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE”.
- Respect other people’s property — don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens.
- Giveaway items should still be in good condition.
- Don’t discard any items on another person’s lawn.
- Consider safety when deciding which items to give away.
For information on items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts), visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau.
Another Giveaway Weekend will take place in the fall, from September 11 to 12.