By Tyler Sutherland
The City of Winnipeg has scheduled 10 open houses for residents to “Speak Up on Garbage” beginning one week from today.
The public is invited to share their thoughts on the future of garbage and recycling services in the city between Monday, March 14 and Thursday, March 24.
The open houses are from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. (excluding March 19).
- Monday, March 14 — Canad Inns Garden City, 2100 McPhillips Street
- Tuesday, March 15 — Dakota Collegiate, 661 Dakota Street
- Wednesday, March 16 — Sturgeon Creek Community Centre, 210 Rita Street
- Thursday, March 17 — Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex, 999 Sargent Avenue
- Saturday, March 19 — Park City West Community Centre, 115 Sanford Fleming Road (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.) and Bronx Park Community Centre, 720 Henderson Highway (2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
- Monday, March 21 — École Henri-Bergeron, 363 Enfield Crescent (Service provided in English and French).
- Tuesday, March 22 — St. John’s Leisure Centre, 601 Aikins Street
- Wednesday, March 23 — Crescentwood Community Centre, 1170 Corydon Avenue
- Thursday, March 24 — St. Norbert Community Centre, 3450 Pembina Highway
“We invite residents to drop in and comment on two key parts of the plan — options to improve garbage, recycling and composting services, and the future of Brady Landfill,” said Darryl Drohomerski, manager of the city’s solid waste services. “We will use this feedback to prepare a plan that has the potential to increase our diversion rate from 17 per cent to over 50 per cent.”
Residents can also view the options and provide feedback at garbage.speakupwinnipeg.com.