After 15 years of waiting, the NHL is returning to Winnipeg. And this time, it’s official.
True North Sports and Entertainment, along with officials with the NHL, made the announcement Tuesday morning to relocate the Atlanta Thrashers to Manitoba in a $170 million deal.
“It’s nice to be back in Winnipeg after all these years,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.
The complex deal wasn’t yet complete by 3:30 a.m. CT. Bettman said he was on a conference call at that time and negotiations were still ongoing.
The sale of the Thrashers will still need approval from 75 percent of the NHL’s Board of Governors on June 21.
True North launched details of a “Drive to 13,000” campaign, meant to secure 13,000 season tickets and fill seats inside MTS Centre.
Bettman says the building will need to be packed every game for the franchise to work in Winnipeg.
Fans with Manitoba Moose season tickets will get the first crack at presale tickets on Wednesday, June 1 at 1 p.m. until Friday, June 3 at 10 p.m.
General season tickets will go on sale at noon on Saturday, June 4. A minimum commitment of three years will be needed, with prices ranging from $1,755 to $5,785. Single game tickets will be available from $39 to $129.
The website Driveto13.com will accommodate the sale of tickets, which will be handled through Ticketmaster.
What happens if 13,000 tickets aren’t sold? Bettman appeared confident when the question was posed to him, but said he doesn’t want to speculate.
Owners of the team haven’t yet selected a name, but Bettman said if they wanted to use ‘Winnipeg Jets,’ he wouldn’t object to it.
Fans were encouraged to celebrate at The Forks, but that didn’t stop a hockey game breaking out at Portage and Main shortly after the announcement began at 11 a.m. As police closed down the famous intersection to vehicles, people from surrounding office buildings began joining in on the celebrations. Everyone from business-types in suits, to die-hard fans with their faces painted, it was a joyous mood that swept over the streets of Winnipeg.
By about 1 p.m., traffic was flowing again at Portage and Main, as revelers moved over to The Forks to join the thousands of people who had already there as early as 9 a.m. in anticipation of the big news. Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz made good on his promise to lead the conga line, and began dancing with city councillor and former Winnipeg Jet Thomas Steen holding onto his shoulders.
The celebrations will go well into the evening, with a slew of performers scheduled to take the stage under the canopy at The Forks.
View the photo gallery below.
ChrisD.ca is Winnipeg's only independent digital news outlet, producing reliable journalism and localized content since 2007. As we grow as a company, so do our expenses into creating the news, sports and entertainment coverage you've come to expect from us. We ask that if you enjoyed reading this article that you consider making a small donation towards our efforts. It would be greatly appreciated in helping us reinvest to expand our reach and hire additional freelance reporters and photographers. Thank you!