Home » News » Manitoba Drivers Don’t Have to Report Minor Collisions

Manitoba Drivers Don’t Have to Report Minor Collisions

October 10, 2011 8:32 AM | News

By David Klassen

The way Manitoba motorists report property damage after an accident changes beginning today. (CHRISD.CA FILE)

Beginning today, Manitoba motorists involved in collisions will not have to report property damage to police except under certain circumstances.

Manitoba drivers will only be required to report to police if a collision involves a fatality, serious injury, unlicensed drivers or vehicles, unidentified vehicles (hit and run, failure to exchange particulars, etc.), and the suspected use of drugs or alcohol.

The changes are meant as a way to free up police officers so they can focus on more important duties.

“These changes respond to a request from the Manitoba Association of Chiefs of Police to streamline the accident reporting process so they can better utilize their resources,” said Manitoba Attorney Andrew Swan.

“Vehicle damage resulting from suspected vandalism, attempted theft and theft must also still be reported to police,” Swan added.

MPI staff will inform those reporting claims if they are required to file a police report, such as if their vehicles are vandalized.