The receiving area of St. Boniface Hospital was evacuated Wednesday after a hazardous material leak.
Staff in the shipping area noticed a three-litre container of formaldehyde leaking at about 2:45 p.m. The area was evacuated because of the fumes, forcing staff to block the air vents to the hospital and adjacent buildings as a precaution.
The hazardous material team was quick to respond and clean up the spill.
All non-essential foot and vehicle traffic, excluding ambulances, was being redirected from the hospital. The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority said patients were not at risk.
At around 5 p.m., the WRHA said the spill would likely take two more hours to clean up.
ChrisD.ca is Winnipeg's only independent digital news outlet, producing reliable journalism and localized content since 2007. As we grow as a company, so do our expenses into creating the news, sports and entertainment coverage you've come to expect from us. We ask that if you enjoyed reading this article that you consider making a small donation towards our efforts. It would be greatly appreciated in helping us reinvest to expand our reach and hire additional freelance reporters and photographers. Thank you!