An elderly man has died and his 58-year-old wife is listed in critical condition after an early morning fire in Fort Rouge.
Firefighters responded to the 500 block of Hethrington Avenue at about 3 a.m. on Thursday. Patrolling police officers in the area noticed the smell of acid smoke and called firefighters to attend. While waiting, officers entered the home to try and locate anyone inside, but were forced out by intense heat and smoke.
Neighbours identified the couple as Bert and Joanne Parry.
Crews quickly gained control of the blaze, which they’re still working to determine its cause.
Damage is estimated to be in excess of $200,000.
UPDATE: Friday, November 23 — Joanne Parry succumbed to her injuries in hospital.