By Sarah Klein
The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Manitoba is in recruiting mode, trying to round up volunteer canvassers across the province for its annual door-to-door campaign.
About 3,800 people are needed for Heart Month this February, including 2,300 in Winnipeg alone.
“We depend on our volunteers during the door-to-door campaign. Securing canvassers, as early as possible, allows us to determine routes, send out canvasser kits, and prepare for the campaign far in advance,” said Heather Carroll, community fundraising programs manager for HSF in Manitoba.
Regional volunteer and monetary goals:
- Winnipeg – 2,300 volunteers and $304,000
- Brandon – 300 volunteers and $35,000
- Westman & Northwest – 300 volunteers and $130,000
- Central – 300 volunteers and $79,000
- Interlake & Thompson – 300 volunteers and $57,000
- Southeast – 300 volunteers and $95,000
Combined, heart disease and stroke is the leading cause of death in Manitoba, and takes one in three Canadians before their time. The Foundation hopes to raise $700,000 across the province, which helps fund important heart disease and stroke research for Canadians of all ages. Last year, volunteers raised more than $581,000.
For more information or to volunteer, visit HeartandStroke.mb.ca or call 1-888-473-4636.