The Royal Winnipeg Ballet has received $1 million from the federal government to renovate its 25-year-old main building.
The funding was announced Wednesday by St. Boniface MP Shelly Glover as the RWB prepares to celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2014.
The two-year project will include:
- expanding the performance/rehearsal theatre and installing new seating
- installing a new stairway to the second floor
- renovating the box office and reception area
- replacing the roof and the carpet in public areas
- upgrading the audio-visual systems and the lighting in the studios
- adding a wheelchair ramp as well as automatic door openers
“Our building is used by our company and thousands of students from our recreational school and our professional division. This support will help us revitalize our facilities and aid in the creation of outstanding dance and outstanding students,” said RWB executive director Jeff Herd.