A new CancerCare Manitoba campaign is asking Manitobans to take the “Kick Cancer” pledge in decreasing their risk of getting the disease.
“Studies show the number of cancer cases in Manitoba is expected to increase by 50% over the next two decades”, said Annitta Stenning, president and CEO of the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation (CCMF).
“We also know up to half of all cancers can be prevented by simple lifestyle choices and that’s why we are asking all Manitobans to take the pledge. If you are already living a healthy lifestyle sign the pledge as a way of congratulating yourself and if you’re not, today is a great day to start.”
Five common sense steps to reduce your cancer risk include:
- Choose a balanced diet, with plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Get active, to maintain a healthy body weight
- Avoid tobacco, and second hand smoke
- Protect yourself from UV rays
- Follow cancer screening guidelines… and see your doctor for regular checkups
To take the pledge, visit KickCancer.ca.