The boathouse at the Winnipeg Rowing Club will be renamed today after longtime supporters of rowing in Manitoba.
The Riley family has a long history with the club, dating back to May of 1892 — when at the age of 17 — Conrad S. Riley joined the Winnipeg Rowing Club. For the next 22 years he was a force in the sport, winning countless races at national and international competitions.
In between Conrad and his song, Derek, many members of the Riley family rowed in WRC’s red, white and blue, served as volunteers, and provided financial support to allow the club to maintain its tradition since 1881.
A ceremony to name the Riley Boathouse at 20 Lyndale will take place between 5-7 p.m. this evening.