The Manitoba government is developing a strategy to further boost the province’s ever-growing brewing industry.
The Craft Breweries Strategy will see an advisory committee created to include existing Manitoba brewers as well as representatives of the local hospitality industry.
“It’s no surprise that growlers filled with local craft beer are proving to be a big success,” said Tourism, Culture, Heritage, Sport and Consumer Protection Minister Ron Lemieux. “Our producers grow all the ingredients for great beer and we know that beer tastes best when it’s fresh so it only makes sense to encourage more brewing right here in Manitoba.”
The advisory will first review the licensing of tap rooms that allow customers to enjoy their favourite craft beer on-site at the brewery.
“Tap rooms have great potential to attract visitors to our province,” added Lemieux. “These facilities will further enhance our continued success of building our tourism infrastructure right here in Manitoba.”
Manitoba Craft Breweries Strategy industry advisory committee:
- Robert Holmberg, vice-president, liquor operations, Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries, and chair, Craft Brewery Industry Advisory Committee
- Jim Baker, president and CEO, Manitoba Hotel Association
- Noel Bernier, president and CEO, FB Hospitality
- Bill Gould, president, WETT Sales and Distribution Inc.
- Orest Horechko, general manager, Fort Garry Brewing Co.
- Scott Jocelyn, executive director, Manitoba Restaurant and Foodservices Association
- Dwayne Marling, vice-president, Manitoba-Saskatchewan, Restaurants Canada
- David Rudge, brewmaster and president, Half Pints Brewing Company
- Darren R. Wanless, president, Wanless Geo-Point Solutions Inc.
- Lawrence Warwaruk, owner, Farmery Estate Brewery
- Kerry Wolfe, senior executive director, strategic gaming and liquor development, Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries
ChrisD.ca is Winnipeg's only independent digital news outlet, producing reliable journalism and localized content since 2007. As we grow as a company, so do our expenses into creating the news, sports and entertainment coverage you've come to expect from us. We ask that if you enjoyed reading this article that you consider making a small donation towards our efforts. It would be greatly appreciated in helping us reinvest to expand our reach and hire additional freelance reporters and photographers. Thank you!