Home » News » Increase of Fire Risk During the Holidays

Increase of Fire Risk During the Holidays

December 23, 2014 11:30 AM | News

Christmas Fireplace

(Burning fireplace image via Shutterstock)

Manitoba’s Office of the Fire Commissioner is reminding citizens to play it safe around fire this holiday season.

Typically, this time of year sees a higher increase in fire-related accidents, especially when alcohol is involved.

The Fire Commissioner suggests asking guests to smoke outside and ensure they use proper ashtrays to reduce the risk of fires caused by cigarettes. Among leaving candles unattended while not in a room, the province also has safety tips related to Christmas trees:

  • Ensure artificial trees are fire-resistant.
  • Make sure live trees are fresh and moist at all times. Cut the stalk at an angle and keep the tree well watered. Dropping needles indicate a dry, highly flammable tree.
  • Set up live and artificial trees away from fireplaces, heaters and other heat sources, and ensure the tree is not blocking an exit.
  • Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
  • Never put a candle on or near tree branches and use non-flammable decorations whenever possible.

— Staff