Five athletes, two builders and one team will be inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame this fall.
“This year’s individual recipients includes a three-time Grey Cup champion placekicker, a legendary GPAC basketball scoring machine, a sprinter who dominated back in the 1950’s, a world-champion rower and a Conn Smythe-winning, Stanley Cup champion goalie,” reads a statement from Sport Manitoba. “A legend at the Winnipeg Winter Club in all things racquet sports and a pioneer in sport medicine make up the Builder category and a dominant CIAU (now CIS) champion hockey team rounds out the new slate of inductees.”
The 2015 inductees are:
- Arjinder (Archie) Chawla, Badminton/Squash/Tennis, Builder
- Dr. Gordon Cumming, Sport Medicine/Speed Skating, Builder
- Trevor Kennerd, Football, Athlete
- Ken Opalko, Basketball, Athlete
- Ken Peters, Athletics, Athlete
- Jeff Powell, Rowing, Athlete
- Bill Ranford, Hockey, Athlete
- 1964-65 University of MB Bisons, Hockey, Team
“These eight recipients join an exclusive group of Manitoba’s finest in sport,” says Susan Nemec, President of the Hall of Fame’s Board of Directors. “We strive to preserve, celebrate and showcase the history and heritage of sport excellence and achievement and these seven individuals and two teams have earned their place in Manitoba’s sport history. Combined with those we honoured back in April at Sport Manitoba’s Night of Champions in our Veteran Induction, 2015 is an exceptional slate.”
The inductees will be honoured on November 7 at the Victoria Inn in Winnipeg.