By Tyler Sutherland
The Canadian Red Cross and Walmart stores across the country are teaming up beginning today to help raise funds for Canadians preparing for and dealing with disasters.
Until October 23, all Canadian Walmart stores — including 15 in Manitoba — will ask customers if they wish to make a financial donation to support the Red Cross.
“We appreciate the unwavering generosity of Walmart’s Manitoba shoppers, who have donated so much to the Walmart campaign in past years,” said Shawn Feely, Canadian Red Cross provincial director for Manitoba.
“All contributions made in Manitoba, stay in Manitoba and ensure we can provide disaster response for people in need. The donations will also allow us to help prepare Manitobans for emergencies.”
Walmart will match funds raised up to $2,000 per store to support Red Cross’ response during major disasters, such as forest fires and floods, but also help people facing smaller disasters, such as house fires.
The Red Cross will also hold events at select Walmarts, such as disaster dining, where chefs will prepare a gourmet quality meal using items like canned goods and limited heat sources. Scavenger hunts will also be held to pit teams against each other to collect items families could use in a disaster in the shortest amount of time possible.
- Oct. 8 – Disaster dining, Kenaston Walmart, 1665 Kenaston Blvd., Winnipeg, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 17 – Disaster dining, 300 Mystery Lake Rd., Thompson, 1 p.m.
- Oct. 22 – Scavenger hunt, Polo Park Walmart, 1001 Empress St., Winnipeg, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 22 – Scavenger hunt, 903 18th St. N., Brandon, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 24 – Scavenger hunt, Flin Flon Walmart, Flin Flon, 1 p.m.