A man who police believe is responsible for 17 commercial armed robberies dating back to July 31 has been arrested.
Neil David Ernest Cheyne, 38, was picked up Sunday after two failed armed robberies at a hotel on Marion Street and another hotel on Westwood Drive.
Police say in both cases, Cheyne allegedly pointed a handgun at an employee and demanded cash while wearing a hood pulled up, a neck warmer and dark glasses. He left empty handed. There were no reported injuries in either robbery attempt.
The tactical support team was searching the area near Roblin Boulevard and Dale Boulevard when they came across the suspect.
Cheyne has been charged with
- Robbery x 7
- Robbery with firearm x 10
- Disguise with intent x 17
- Possession of weapon for a dangerous purpose x 19
- Possession of prohibited Weapon x 6
- Using a firearm in the commission of an offence x 10
- Point firearm x 10
- Theft under $5,000
- Theft over $5,000