Carbon Monoxide Blamed in Death of Man in St. Boniface

Carbon Monoxide Blamed in Death of Man in St. Boniface

Firefighter

WINNIPEG — A carbon monoxide leak at a St. Boniface business earlier this week is being contributed to the death of at least one person.

Twenty people complained of feeling ill and evacuated the building, where one person was sent to hospital. The Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner says a man had been found unresponsive in the building the day before, but was believed to have suffered a heart attack. An autopsy confirmed it was actually carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials say a vent cover on the chimney had collapsed preventing the chimney to vent properly. The investigation is ongoing.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can result from combustion any time fuel is burned in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.

Comments

comments