By Tyler Sutherland
WINNIPEG — Some very special women have been honoured at the 41st annual Women of Distinction Awards.
The YMCA-YWCA awarded the distinctions on Wednesday evening, recognizing some of the 42 women nominated for their talent, achievement and innovation.
“It was an honour to celebrate the exceptional accomplishments of the nominees and recipients tonight. Hearing their stories of devotion, vision and transformative work was truly awe-inspiring,” said Susan Emerson with YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg.
And the winners are…
- Buffy Handel — Arts, Culture & Heritage
- Trudy Lavallee — Business, Professions & Trades
- Sharon Redsky — Community Champion
- Dr. Diane Clare — Education, Training & Mentorship
- Dr. Joanne Embree — Science, Technology & Research
- Aly Raposo — Young Woman of Distinction
- Abigail Olfert — 2017 Prairie Award of Promise Scholarship
- Mirha Zohair — 2017 Gerrie Hammond Memorial Award of Promise Scholarship
In addition, the Eira “Babs” Friesen Lifetime Achievement Award was awarded to Jo Wright, a retired United Way fundraiser and long-time supporter of women’s right and equality in the community.
Proceeds from the YMCA-YWCA Women of Distinction Gala at the RBC Convention Centre help provide funds for a variety of YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg programs.
ChrisD.ca is Winnipeg's only independent digital news outlet, producing reliable journalism and localized content since 2007. As we grow as a company, so do our expenses into creating the news, sports and entertainment coverage you've come to expect from us. We ask that if you enjoyed reading this article that you consider making a small donation towards our efforts. It would be greatly appreciated in helping us reinvest to expand our reach and hire additional freelance reporters and photographers. Thank you!