The City of Winnipeg is turning to Ottawa to help fund 20 regional infrastructure projects over the next six years.
The city has identified a list of streets targeted for potential renewal aside from nine infrastructure projects already being funded through $55.7 million in the 2018 preliminary capital budget.
“Being able to access federal funding would significantly increase the city’s ability to renew regional roads across Winnipeg,” said Councillor Marty Morantz, chairperson of the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works.
City council unanimously approved a request in July to ask the federal government for $182 million through the New Building Canada Fund. A separate request to the provincial government was submitted in September for their consideration for additional funding.
If approved, the following streets could be renewed:
- Portage Avenue, east bound – Woodlawn to Garden
- Portage Avenue, east and westbound – Main to Memorial
- Pembina Highway, north and southbound – Ducharme to Des Trappistes
- Kind Edward Street, north and southbound – Hyde to Logan
- Grant Avenue, east and westbound – Cambridge to Wilton
- Selkirk Avenue, east and westbound – Arlington to Sinclair
- Salter Street, east and westbound – Flora to Mountain
- University Crescent, north and southbound – Pembina to Chancellor Matheson
- Broadway, east and westbound – Osborne to Main
- Keewatin Street, north bound – Inkster to Adsum
- Pandora Street, east and westbound – Wayoata to Day
- Roblin Boulevard, east and westbound – Dieppe to Barker
- Dunkirk Street, north and southbound – St. Vital Bridge to St. Vital Road
- Archibald Street, north and southbound – Elizabeth to Fermor
- Regent Avenue, east and westbound – Rougeau to Plessis
- Corydon Avenue, east and westbound – Wilton to Cambridge
- Sturgeon Avenue, north and southbound – Ness to Portage
- Lagimodiere Boulevard, north and southbound – Knowles to Springfield
- Erin Street, southbound – Notre Dame to Wellington
- Sargent Avenue, southbound – Arlington to Erin