With 44 goals in 82 games this season, Winnipeg Jets right winger Patrik Laine isn’t only making moves on the ice, but also online.
Exclusive data provided to ChrisD.ca from Twitter Canada shows the 19-year-old Finnish phenom was the most-mentioned Jets player on the platform during the 2017-18 season.
If you break that down between first half, second half and full season Twitter mentions… you guessed it, Laine still comes out on top. Is there anything this kid can’t accomplish?
Following Laine for total season mentions on the platform is captain Blake Wheeler, goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, defenceman Dustin Byfuglien, and forward Mark Scheifele.
Capturing some of the spotlight during the second half of the NHL season was recently-acquired Jets forward Paul Stastny, who signed with Winnipeg from St. Louis on February 26. Twitter Canada says Stastny was the second most-mentioned player heading into the team’s post-season.
Most Tweeted Jets’ Games
- April 7, 2018: 4-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks — Final game of the regular season
- January 30, 2018: 3-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning — Michael Hutchison debuts in goal for the Jets
- March 25, 2018: 4-3 win over the Nashville Predators — Shootout win
- January 25, 2018: 4-3 loss to the Anaheim Ducks — Shootout loss
- December 3, 2017: 5-0 win over the Ottawa Senators — Goal and three assists for Blake Wheeler
Capturing the Twitter title for the most team mentions throughout the league were the Vegas Golden Knights, with Pittsburgh Penguins’ captain Sidney Crosby leading the league in most individual player mentions, according to Twitter’s NHL recap.
Joining the platform late this season is an official @StanleyCup Twitter account, which began typing away with its own custom emoji on April 9.
— The Stanley Cup (@StanleyCup) April 9, 2018
The Jets welcome the Minnesota Wild to Bell MTS Place tonight at 6 p.m. in the first round of the NHL playoffs. Game two is Friday at 6:30 p.m.