Freak Accident: Calgary Girl Playing in Blanket Fort Paralyzed by Broken Glass

Freak Accident: Calgary Girl Playing in Blanket Fort Paralyzed by Broken Glass

By The Canadian Press

Jaclyn Derks
Two-year-old Jaclyn Derks is seen in this undated handout photo. Two-year-old Jaclyn Derks of Calgary is receiving treatment in hospital after she was partially paralyzed by a shard of glass while playing in a blanket fort at her grandparents’ home. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Kayla Rudichuk)

CALGARY – A Calgary toddler is able to move her arm and wiggle her toes weeks after she was partially paralyzed by a shard of glass in a freak accident.

Two-year-old Jaclyn Derks had built a blanket fort at her grandparents’ house in July when she fell through the top and landed on a glass cup.

The cup broke and a small piece went into the back of her neck.

The child’s mother, Kayla Rudichuk, says a surgeon was able to remove the glass, but her daughter’s spinal cord was severed in half.

Rudichuk says the accident caused paralysis on the girl’s left side.

She says doctors don’t have a prognosis, but are impressed with the progress the girl is making in hospital.

CP - The Canadian Press

Advertisements

Sports Highlights

Comments

comments

logo