Universities across the country are some of the most active post-secondary institutions on Twitter, providing news and insightful information.
As classes prepare to resume for the upcoming academic year, Twitter Canada has pulled rankings to form a top 20 list of the most engaging and active university accounts.
The University of Manitoba is among those elite, being the only Manitoba school mentioned among those across the country. Of those listed, 12 of the schools are in Ontario, three in B.C., two in Alberta and Quebec and one in Newfoundland.
“Universities accounts are historically amongst the most active anywhere in Canada,” says Cam Gordon, head of communications, Twitter Canada.
“In many ways, a well-run Twitter account can serve as the pipeline for insights and information for any school and having a quality Twitter feed can also help shape a healthy online dialogue with students, faculty and anyone else within the academic ecosystem.”
The U of M had its most single-day mentions of @umanitoba on January 31, 2018 when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a town hall on campus. Overall, the U of M ranked 19th on the list of most-mentioned universities as tracked between January 1 and July 31.
See the complete list below.
- University of Toronto (@uoft)
- York University (@yorkuniversity)
- University of British Columbia (@UBC)
- University of Alberta (@UAlberta)
- McGill University (@mcgillu)
- Ryerson University (@ryersonu)
- University of Calgary (@UCalgary)
- University of Western Ontario (@westernu)
- University of Waterloo (@UWaterloo)
- McMaster University (@mcmasteru)
- University of Ottawa (@UOttawa)
- Laurier University (@Laurier)
- Carleton University (@carleton_u)
- University of Guelph (@uofg)
- Simon Fraser University (@sfu)
- Memorial University (@memorialu)
- Queen’s University (@queensu)
- University of Victoria (@uvic)
- University of Manitoba (@umanitoba)
- Concordia University (@concordia)