Winnipeg Councillor Accused of Sexual Assault Says He Won’t Seek Re-Election

Winnipeg Councillor Accused of Sexual Assault Says He Won’t Seek Re-Election

By The Canadian Press

Russ Wyatt
Winnipeg City Councillor Russ Wyatt at City Hall in Winnipeg on Friday, Nov. 29, 2013. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

WINNIPEG – A Winnipeg city councillor charged with sexual assault says he is not seeking re-election in the city’s upcoming municipal election.

Russ Wyatt says in a statement that it has been an honour to serve and give back to the community.

Wyatt was arrested in mid-July following an assault that allegedly occurred in January.

He has said he is innocent and will defend himself in court.

September 18 is the cutoff date for candidates to register and file the proper paperwork — the same day Wyatt’s case is back in court.

Wyatt spent time in an addictions treatment centre earlier this year and says in the statement that his recovery, health and family must be the priority in his life.

(CTV Winnipeg)

CP - The Canadian Press

Advertisements

Sports Highlights

Comments

comments

logo