Winnipeg police are warning the public to be careful when selling and buying items online and meeting with potential buyers.
Police are investigating several robberies stemming from online classified ads, such as those posted on Kijiji.
Police say it’s important to use caution when selling online, as it allows criminals to remain anonymous while taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers and sellers.
Police offer the following crime prevention tips:
- Ask for a photo of the serial number before meeting and attempt to confirm the item hasn’t been reported stolen.
- Search the serial number online. serial number search tool
- Conduct reverse search of the posted image of the item for sale.
- Don’t provide your personal information to anyone.
- Check the buyer/seller’s name through an online search engine.
- Ask about the history of the item being sold.
- Meet during daylight hours, in a public space equipped with cameras.
- Do not transfer/provide money to the person before receiving the product.
- Do not meet someone alone.
- Use generic photos when posting an item for sale.
- Follow your gut – if something feels wrong, it probably is.