Home » News » Malfunctioning Bathroom Fan Causes Fire at Portage Avenue Business

Malfunctioning Bathroom Fan Causes Fire at Portage Avenue Business

February 11, 2019 6:54 AM | News


Firetrucks

(UFFW 867 / FILE)

WINNIPEG — A malfunctioning bathroom fan is being blamed for a fire that erupted in a commercial strip mall in the 900 block of Portage Avenue on Sunday.

Firefighters arrived on scene just before 8 a.m. and saw smoke coming from the building’s eaves. The fire was deemed under control about 15 minutes later, which the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service says, was in part, because of the building’s sprinkler system.

Damage to the building was minimal, but the unit suffered significant smoke damage. There were no occupants inside at the time and no injuries reported.

A damage estimate wasn’t immediately available.

— Staff


Meta has been blocking Canadian news from its platforms, Facebook and Instagram, since August 1, 2023 in response to Canada’s Online News Act. To ensure you don’t miss the local news that matters to you, please subscribe to our free daily e-mail newsletter and add ChrisD.ca to your bookmarks and smartphone home screen. You can also follow us on Google News.