Home » News » Early Morning Fire Alarm Vacates Guests from Hotel Near Airport

Early Morning Fire Alarm Vacates Guests from Hotel Near Airport

June 6, 2019 10:21 AM | News

  • 38
    Shares

Firetruck

(FILE)

It’s not the wake up call requested hotel guests.

A fire broke out at 5:30 a.m. Thursday, June 6 at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel at 1999 Wellington Avenue. When the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service arrived, there was smoke in the lobby and on numerous floors.

Many hotel guests left the Sheraton without help, while other with mobility issues were assisted by medical crews. Fire crews utilized the PA system, asking all guests to vacate.

Investigators determined the smoke was the result of a burned generator belt. Prior to 5:30 a.m., the hotel lost power. The generator – located in the basement – activated and caused the belt issue. The air exchange system couldn’t function because of the power outage.

Manitoba Hydro arrived at the hotel, however, some guests won’t be able to return until power is restored. WFPS crews helped those guests gather their belongings, especially the ones with flights to catch.

-Staff


  • 38
    Shares