The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is reminding you to keep your butts out of plants.
On Monday at around 4 a.m., a potted plant caused a fire at a residence on Ross Avenue.
When Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service arrived at a single-storey, multi-family home. The exterior of the house was on fire, and flames were spreading to another suite.
One person was evacuated, and no injuries were reported.
Upon investigation, the cause of the fire was a potted plant that was used as an ashtray.
Potting soil a mixture of dirt and combustible organic materials such as peat moss, shredded wood, and minerals. When ashes from a cigarette or other types of butt can smoulder for several hours. Certain pots can heat up and crack, creating oxygen – providing oxygen and producing flames.
Butts, ashes, etc., should be extinguished in an ashtray or deep metal container.
Never throw butts from motorized vehicles or dispose of them near vegetation such as grass or brush.