Before the Waverley Underpass can officially open to motorists on August 19, the area will need to temporarily close to traffic this weekend.
From Friday, August 16 at 5:30 p.m. until 6 a.m. next Monday, traffic will be limited in the area as northbound and southbound traffic is moved from the detour to the newly-constructed underpass.
The closure boundaries for this weekend are:
- Taylor Avenue will be closed from the Re-Fit approach to Cambridge Street
- Waverley Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from Wilkes Avenue to Mathers Avenue
- Saturday afternoon and evening only, from approximately 13:00 to 21:00, no through traffic on Hurst Way / Wilkes Avenue at Waverley Street
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to use the new multi-use path on the east side of Waverley Street throughout the weekend.
Temporary turning movement restrictions will be in place at the Taylor intersection following the weekend closure. Turning restrictions include:
- Eastbound Taylor at Waverley, no left turn
- Northbound Waverley at Taylor, no left turn
- Southbound Waverley at Taylor, no left turn
- Limited through lanes (intermittent lane closures throughout site)
The city says while the underpass will be open next week, additional roadwork in the area will continue to remove the detour road and reconstruct a portion of the Taylor Avenue intersection.
Construction is expected to be completed in November 2019 and landscaping will be completed in spring 2020.