Get ready for curbside shopping!
Winnipeg’s Fall Curbside Giveaway Weekend, September 7th and 8th, means it’s time to purge your home of gently used, unnecessary items. Or plan your route to hidden treasures.
If you’re placing items curbside, the City of Winnipeg has some tips:
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign
- Store items you’re not giving away out of sight
- Please remove unclaimed items from the curb by dusk on Sunday, September 8th
Wondering what you can purge or what you can expect on Winnipeg curbs? The city suggests:
- Books, CDs, and DVDs
- Furniture, electronics, and small appliances
- Sports equipment and some toys (see unsafe link below)
- Yard and gardening tools and equipment (lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels, and alike)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots, and pans
- Unwanted gifts (Sorry, Auntie Mabel)
- Construction material (nails, paint, wood, and alike)
- Pre-loved clothing (no undergarments, please)
However, the City of Winnipeg does not want these items on curbs:
- Items that could be unsafe
- Items infested with bed bugs (mattresses, furniture, bedding, and alike)
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
Looking for curbside treasures?
- Take items only on the curb marked “FREE”
- Check items to ensure they’re safe and in good condition. Remember, you’re putting them in your vehicle and home.
- Don’t walk or drive on private lawns or gardens
- Don’t discard any items on private property (paper cups, trash, cigarette butts, and alike)
- While driving, watch out for children
- Obey the traffic laws and avoid blocking traffic, parking illegally, and blocking driveways
If you need more information visit winnipeg.ca/giveawayweekend or Contact 311. You can download the Recycle Coach app at winnipeg.ca/recyclecoach.