WINNIPEG — Manitoba officials have seized nearly 10,000 contraband cigarettes and 32,000 grams of shisha (illegal flavoured water pipe tobacco) from 15 stores in Winnipeg.
Manitoba Finance inspected the retail locations and have charged seven establishments and eight individuals.
There were multiple illegal brands seized, which are considered illegal anywhere in Canada and are ineligible for a tobacco tax stamp.
Locations charged include:
• Fiori’s, 533 Selkirk Ave. (repeat offender)
• T&A Convenience Store, 520 Sargent Ave.
• ROSS Convenience, 4-164 Isabel St.
• Cornerstone, 74 Isabel St.
• Strikers Deli, 832 Burrows Ave.
• Ellice Deli, 521 Ellice Ave.
• Save Money Spend Less, 348 Hargrave St.
The province stood to lose $12,249 in tax revenue had these cigarettes been sold.
The province asks anyone with information on contraband tobacco to contact their local police department, or the Manitoba Finance Special Investigations Unit at (204) 945-1137 or by emailing email@example.com or contact Manitoba Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).