WINNIPEG — The first round of light-based artworks to go on display during this weekend’s Lights on the Exchange – Allumez le Quartier festival have been revealed.
Two building projections and six storefront installations make up the first of many creations the public can enjoy, including:
- The Space Between by Taylor McArthur, projection located at 168 Bannatyne Ave.
- Kong and Bannatyne by Jaymez, projection at the King and Bannatyne parking lot
- One night at the ‘borough by Derek Bassey at 279 McDermot Ave.
- Black Forest Entrancement by Diana Thorneycroft at 93 Albert St. (Cordova Tapas & Wine)
- Untitled installation by Nereo Zorro at 492 Main St. (Exchange District BIZ office)
- Untitled installation by Karrie McEwan at 185 Bannatyne Ave.
- Contra by Reza Rezaï at 441 Main St.
- Untitled installation by Marie-France Hollier + Alexis Aurora in the Artspace drayway
The festival kicks off early on Saturday with a 1 p.m. matinee screening at Cinematheque of “The Power Was With Us: Idle No More,” followed by a discussion with producers/directors Rick Harp and Tim Fontaine.
Additional artworks will be released on the final First Fridays of winter, February 3 and March 3, and will include large-scale lanterns and sculptural light boxes. Artists will be announced in the coming weeks.