WINNIPEG — A high-rise fire on the roof of a Winnipeg apartment building caused plumes of black smoke to billow across the city sky on Thursday night.
Winnipeg firefighters were called to The Spot at East Village at 221 Stradbrook Avenue just after 7 p.m.
More than 25 emergency units were on the scene of the 18-floor residential tower blaze, which was deemed under control by around 7:45 p.m.
One person was sent to hospital in unstable condition due to smoke inhalation, while one firefighter was transported to hospital in stable condition. No other injuries were reported.
Some residents of the building were able to self-evacuate, as well as employees of the building’s Parcel Pizza restaurant. Firefighters assisted other residents in evacuating safely from the building.
The fire also resulted in extensive water damage to the building, rendering the elevator system inoperable.
Due to the damage, building residents weren’t able to return to their suites. Firefighters assisted residents in retrieving essential items from their suites. The Winnipeg Animal Services Agency responded and assisted with the retrieval of animals from suites. Officials estimate more than a dozen dogs and cats were rescued.
The fire remains under investigation, but the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service believes it was accidental, caused by an electrical failure.
View this post on Instagram
Updated on Friday, August 18 at 11 a.m.