WINNIPEG — A fire at a Southdale elementary school Monday morning evacuated students and staff.
The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to École Guyot School at 400 Willowlake Cres. at around 11:20 a.m. to find smoke and flames coming from the roof.
Officials say the fire was deemed to be accidental, caused by a malfunctioning heat system. Damage was mostly confined to the gymnasium area of the school.
Crews had the fire under control just after 12:30 p.m.
Buses were brought in to transport students to another location where parents and caregivers were directed for pick-up.
Damage estimates were immediately available.