Home » News » Man Fatally Shot by Police Responding to Mental Health Call

Man Fatally Shot by Police Responding to Mental Health Call

February 14, 2024 11:27 AM | News

Winnipeg Police Crest Logo

A Winnipeg Police Service shoulder badge is seen at the Public Information Office in Winnipeg, on September 2, 2021. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/David Lipnowski)

Winnipeg police say they shot and killed a man on Tuesday after attempting to take him into custody under the Manitoba Mental Health Act.

Police attended a home in the 200 block of Magnus Avenue on Tuesday morning to take the man to hospital for a non-voluntary physician examination, but were met with resistance. Police say the suspect was exhibiting agitated behaviour and in possession of a crowbar. As they approached him, he discharged a fire extinguisher in their direction before retreating and locking himself inside.

Officers had been met with negative results in apprehending the 59-year-old man since receiving the order on February 8, according to police.

Additional officers arrived, including the tactical support team, but were unable to get the man out of the two-storey home. They say he discharged a fire extinguisher for a second time at police and barricaded himself inside a second-floor bedroom.

The man eventually exited the room and confronted officers with a large-edged weapon. Police shot the suspect and began providing emergency medical care, including the use of chest seals and a tourniquet.

The suspect was taken to hospital in critical condition and succumbed to his injuries.

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba has assumed responsibility for the investigation.

Meta has been blocking Canadian news from its platforms, Facebook and Instagram, since August 1, 2023 in response to Canada’s Online News Act. To ensure you don’t miss the local news that matters to you, please subscribe to our free daily e-mail newsletter and add ChrisD.ca to your bookmarks and smartphone home screen. You can also follow us on Google News.