The Winnipeg Rowing Club could use some new members and they’re hoping the public will come out this weekend and give the sport a try.
The WRC is hosting their annual open house on Saturday, June 3. It’s a chance for anyone curious about rowing to tour the facilities, check out the boats and boathouse, watch rowing demonstrations, and try dockside rowing.
Winnipeg’s top rowers took to the Red River on Saturday to try and earn the top purse in their category.
The Head of the Red rowing competition was held at the Winnipeg Rowing Club, where racers participated in three 2 km loops departing every 30 seconds.
The 6,000-metre course is one on the long end of the racing scale compared to sprint competitions consisting of varying 500 to 2,000 metre lengths.
“Usually in Winnipeg, we do it (the races) from the St. Vital Bridge to the Norwood Bridge. This year we’ve changed the format — it’s a circular format — so that rowers are always in sight of the spectators,” said Steven Taylor, head coach of the Winnipeg Rowing Club.
The boathouse at the Winnipeg Rowing Club will be renamed today after longtime supporters of rowing in Manitoba.
The Riley family has a long history with the club, dating back to May of 1892 — when at the age of 17 — Conrad S. Riley joined the Winnipeg Rowing Club. For the next 22 years he was a force in the sport, winning countless races at national and international competitions.