Offensive lineman Obby Khan has announced his retirement from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
“It’s with mixed emotions that I make this announcement today as football has always been a big part of my life,” Khan said in a release. “At the same time, when one door closes, another one opens and I am looking forward to the next phase of my life. I want to thank all the fans in Winnipeg for their support over my career.”
The 31-year-old veteran spent eight seasons in the CFL, including six in Winnipeg.
Reports out Wednesday suggested Khan was asked by the football club to retire, making him the second player this year to end his career with the team. Doug Brown retired earlier this off-season.
Khan has been an active member in the community, volunteering to fundraise for several organizations, including the Crohns and Colitis Foundation, Variety, the Children’s Charity of Manitoba and the Children’s Hospital Foundation. He also sits on the planning committee of the SMD Foundation.
“Obby has always been a very hard worker and an excellent ambassador to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers throughout the province of Manitoba,” said vice-president and general manager Joe Mack. “We’d like to thank him for everything he has done for this organization and wish him well as he turns the page on a new chapter in his life.”
Khan was selected by Winnipeg with the second pick in the 2006 Ottawa Renegades’ Dispersal Draft and went on to become the Blue Bombers’ starting centre on the offensive line. He started all 18 games and the East Semi-Final in his first season, before missing much of the 2007 and 2008 seasons with a serious illness. With a will to persevere, Khan fought back and returned to form in 2009, playing in all 18 games and making 16 starts.
ChrisD.ca video/Darrin Bauming