As we look back on 2015 and round up the most-viewed articles on ChrisD.ca, three of the five we found were from the first month of the year.
With a continued increase in traffic, readership and advertising revenue year after year, we have some changes on the way for 2016 that you’ll be hearing about shortly. These plans will work to bolster our growth as Winnipeg’s only independent digital media outlet as we prepare for our ninth year.
Top viewed articles on ChrisD.ca in 2015
5) The Two-Sided Truth to Manitoba’s Minimum Wage — A contributed article by columnist Kate Jackman-Atkinson looks at Manitoba’s increase in the minimum wage every year since 2001. This column was heavily shared on social media and remained the top viewed item for several days after its initial publication in January.
4) Power 97 Flipping the Switch on New Format — The rumoured switch to a country music format helped increase the buzz on Corus Entertainment’s plans for the 97.5 FM frequency. It would later be unveiled to be a classic rock format under the name 97.5 BIG FM.
3) Direct Flights from Winnipeg to London to Cost $279 — WestJet’s announcement to fly direct to London, England from a number of Canadian destinations, including Winnipeg, saw huge interest among travellers. The article was shared some 10,000 times on Facebook and saw traffic from all parts of the globe.
2) Downtown Winnipeg Building Engulfed in Flames — News of a blaze at an abandoned Winnipeg apartment block on Hargrave Street in April garnered viral-like traffic on social media, as Winnipeggers shared photos and video from the scene. Smoke could be seen across the city, but luckily no injuries were reported. The building was demolished the next day.
1) Winnipeg Police Name Motorists Charged with Impaired Driving — Some media outlets choose not to name motorists charged with impaired over the holidays. However, the information is publicly released by police and ChrisD.ca continues to publish such names and ages every year.
Top viewed videos on ChrisD.ca in 2015
10) Plush Premium Lounge Opens at James Richardson Airport
9) Winnipeg Cleans Up After Heavy Snowfall
8) Entire City of Winnipeg Under a Boil-Water Advisory
7) Motorhome Catches Fire in St. Boniface
6) Giant Cavalia Tent Goes Up in South Winnipeg
5) Fire Engulfs Winnipeg Super 8
4) Cavalia’s Odysseo Horses Grazing on Manitoba Farm
3) Glasshouse Skylofts Rising Above Winnipeg
2) Thermea Spa Experience Opens in Winnipeg
1) Man in Hospital After Police Shooting Near Kenaston Blvd. (Viewer video)