Members of the Winnipeg media competed alongside University of Manitoba Bison football athletes Wednesday in the 8th annual Media Wing Off contest.
The yearly tradition at Smitty’s is held to end the Bisons’ regular season and look ahead to the fall. Competitors had five minutes to eat as many chicken wings as they could to be declared victorious.
Over the years there have been a handful of techniques that participants have tried, including dipping the wings in water to cool them off. Others choose to take their time and leisurely eat the chicken off the bone.
This year’s top three spots were claimed by the Global Winnipeg team, with Morning News co-host Derek Taylor holding down 43 wings. Taylor’s win now makes him a three-time champion.
- Derek Taylor — Global Winnipeg — 43 wings
- Mitch Rosset — Global Winnipeg — 40
- Russ Hobson — Global Winnipeg — 35
- Jay Richardson — TSN Radio 1290 — 34
- Michael Elves (last year’s champion) — 101.5 UMFM — 32
- Lloyd the Intern — Hot 103 — 19
- Chris Laubenstein — Bison Football — 18
- Marc Lagace — The Manitoban — 13
- Chris Newby — Bison Football — 11
- Hustler — TSN Radio 1290 — 6
ChrisD.ca is Winnipeg's only independent digital news outlet, producing reliable journalism and localized content since 2007. As we grow as a company, so do our expenses into creating the news, sports and entertainment coverage you've come to expect from us. We ask that if you enjoyed reading this article that you consider making a small donation towards our efforts. It would be greatly appreciated in helping us reinvest to expand our reach and hire additional freelance reporters and photographers. Thank you!