WINNIPEG — Three employees at the Tyndall Park Liquor Mart were assaulted Wednesday afternoon during a violent robbery, sending one of them to hospital.
During a news conference tonight, Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries president and CEO, Manny Atwal, said the incident was an unprovoked attack on staff and is the latest in a spike of robberies at the stores.
Atwal says the store will be closed until further notice.
“Our employees should not feel unsafe at work,” he said. “They should not be subject to threats or harm or attempts of harm by anyone. They should not have to come to work every day wondering how many times someone will threaten or try to harm them, or one of our customers. Our customers should not feel unsafe when shopping in a Liquor Mart. This has to stop.”
Atwal revealed the Tyndall Park location will be the first Liquor Mart to have a new security entrance implemented in the coming days. Upon entering, customers will be required to show photo identification at the security station — similar to how the public enters cannabis stores. Once identification is checked, a second locked door opens to access the rest of the store.
Similar measures will be rolled out to other Liquor Marts in the coming weeks and months.
“As a retailer that prides itself on customer service and offering a modern, shopping experience, we did not want to impose these measures – however, we have an obligation to provide a safe environment for our employees and customers.”
Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will be releasing further details on the initiative Thursday.
Liquor thefts have been rampant in recent years, increasing by as much as 300 percent. New security measures were implemented system-wide earlier this year, but have had little impact to deter thefts.